Tuesday 1 December 2009

Advent Calendars start today

Yesterday I was getting excited about opening all the doors on my Advent Calendar, and eating the chocolates behind the doors.

However, in the evening I uncovered a conspiracy amongst the rest of my family to continue the ancient family tradition of opening the Advent Calendar doors in strict rotation. That means I will not be allowed to eat all the chocolates myself.

It's outrageous! The boys buy big bars of chocolate and eat the whole lot themselves. Then when it comes to dinnertime - they are too full! Then after I've gone to bed, they get hungry again, and eat all the biscuits! Grumble, grumble!

This year, after me making careful plans and putting in the effort, and money, to buy a Chocolate Advent Calendar, now I've to share it with the whole family.

Well, I have to concede that it is an Advent Calendar, after all. It's about looking forward to Christmas. That's when we celebrate God's generosity in laying down His life so that we could share our life with Him.

I mean God was good enough to share this whole Universe with us. He made it, and we get to live in it free! He's already made the price.

So I guess I'll just have to scale back my expectations and share my Advent Calendar with everyone else. After all, it's better to give than to receive! We'll enjoy sharing our chocolate treats after dinner - but only if they clear their plates!

Some folk complain that God demands too much from us. But as far as I am concerned He deserves everything I've got. After all, it came from Him in the first place anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment